Sunday, August 19, 2012

My Pecan Tree

When we moved to this house, we had no idea that the tree in front the house is a pecan tree, until I began to see the trees budding with pecans.  I was happy.  Anticipating harvest season for the pecans.  but then I began to notice that some of the pecan nuts have these little circular black spots.  After googling it, I found out these are called scabs.  Pecan scabs is a disease, a fungal disease that attacks the pecan trees and affects the nuts.  and it seems that the only solution is to apply pesticides before it buds next year.  So we might not have the anticipated happy harvest this year for pecans.

But I'm thinking, of smoking the the tree.  I remember when I was young in the Philippines, my grandmother tend to smoke trees, to get rid of unwanted pest.  I'll try that.  I don't know exactly how to, unless I get a metal cylinder drum and lit yard garbage in it.  will see.

Anyway here are some photos I took.

Pecan Nuts with Scab

Our Driveway.  Pecans are already dropping off, now I think its because of the scab disease.

Our Pecan Tree

bark of our Pecan tree

had to trim some of the branches because they suddenly began to droop so low.

removing the pecans from the trimmed branches

Healthy Pecan nuts

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews