Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Frugal vegetable garden

I feel like I'm really experimenting with my garden.  First of all, I lack transportation to visit stores to grab things I need for the garden such as soil.  Public transportation or city bus is really my only means of transport at the moment.  But I refused to let that stop me from growing my own veggie.  I failed at composting.  I've been trying to compost since winter and no luck there.  I just have plenty of wet winter leaves.  I am trying anyway.

My soil where my garden is located is very sandy.  I went ahead and transplanted the following:

  • Tomatoes
  • Green beans
  • peas
  • cucumbers
  • squash
  • bay leaves
  • cilantro
I want to see how well they will grow for me.  I'm not buying any fertilizers or any kind of chemicals for the garden.

I will use:

  • the leaves I've collected during the winter season
  • humus - from a tree that composted into mulch - will also use this for mulch - to bring in organic to the soil
  • plenty of harvested rain water and tap water
  • egg shells and epson salt for the tomato plants
  • my urine mixed with rain water for nitrogen - a natural and organic fetilizer.



Five days ago, I wasn't seeing any growth.  Then the rain began.  It has been raining atleast every other day for the past week.  and I am seeing the differences in the garden.  
Right now, I have hope. 




as you can probably see the pentagon shape.  That's because my veggie garden is inside a 1V geodesic dome.  It is made out of 1/2 inch metal conduit.  Each struts are about 5ft in length.  The ends are flattened and holes are drilled through them.  Nuts and bolts to put this 5 sided geodesic dome together.  I used chicken wire to fence the garden, to keep my dogs away.  I also used the chicken wire as tomato stands.  I used garden staples to hold them in place.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews