Monday, April 1, 2013

First time planting tomatoes

This is my first time planting tomatoes.  Actually my second try.  The first time, I killed them.  After a week, I must have transferred them to quickly on their own and they quickly withered away.  So this time, I'm reading the instructions carefully and following them as much as I can remember.  I should have kept the instruction sheet.

Anyway I bought this tiny green house kit from homedepot for $5.00 and bought the just needed some seeds, which is ofcourse tomatoes seeds, to ad.  I added 3 or more seeds per pods.  and one week later (March 23rd) the plants germinated and are already 2 to 3 inches high.  I had to remove the lid.  But because it was still 40 degrees and below, I kept the green house in my room where it's much more warmer.



One week after seeding
photos taken on March 23, 2013 

So I moved the individual pods on pots.  But the problem was, is I only had 5 pots available and I left the rest of the pods in the kit.  and somehow my pitbull puppies found them and destroyed them.  Luckily I had planted the 5 and took them outside and was able to save one pod from dying.  So now I have six tomato plants. I took these photos today.  So you guys can see their growth.



Soon I'll have some tomatoes. 
I think according to the instructions, it stated to wait for an entire month to plant them separately and slowly introduce them to outside sun light.  I guess I'm not following the instruction carefully, because this is only their 3rd week or less and they have been outside for a few days. in their own pots.
 
I did brought them inside the garage, to protect them from being destroyed from the rain.  And we have been having plenty of rain in the past few days.

I'm planning on moving them to a bigger container or create a raise garden by the fence, so the plants would use the fence to climb and support themselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews